Would you like to earn extra money and at the same time be at some of the most prestigious sporting events at the same time? Working at sporting events is a great way to earn extra money and get a sneak peek at the game as well.
There are huge sporting events over the entire UK every year that draws people from all over the world. Naturally, these events need staff to provide a whole range of services. Probably the most common one is security personnel that we always see in high visibility jackets, or as G4S calls them, customer care stewards. Doing this type of job can be a lot of fun, and you get to attend sporting events which other people have to pay big bucks for.
I will be honest and say that not all staff gets to see the action that goes on, but most of the time, you will be able to see some of the sporting activities going on. I guess it is better than nothing, right? You may wonder what sporting events you could work at. The one most people would think about would be to work as a steward at a football game, then you would have jobs at racing events, whether car or motorbike racing. There are jobs at horse racing events and at rugby stadiums. If you can think of a sporting event where loads of people will attend, then you can almost be certain that you could find a job there.
How do I Get a Job Working at a Sports Event?
In short, you apply for one. Just kidding. Because there are a lot of various sporting events going on in the country during the year, there are quite a few ways to go about this.
The most popular one, which most people will be familiar with, will be G4S. They do most of the security at sporting events around the UK. This means that there is a very good chance of you getting a job as a customer care steward(as they call it) with G4S. Just have a look here, and I am sure you will find something fairly close to you. If you have a look on gumtree.com, you should find jobs advertised from G4S as well. If you are quick enough, you can still get a job at Silverstone Racecourse in time for the British Formula 1 Grand Prix and the British Superbikes. They also cover Wimbledon, Carlisle racecourse, and various other locations such as the Rugby 7`s. Your best bet with them is to look at least 6 months before the time; otherwise, you will miss out.
Working as a G4S customer care steward, you will do a broad range of jobs. Some of your duties will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- You have to sell and check tickets
- Provide stewarding support across various different areas
- Direct patrons to the correct seats and also monitor crowds
- You have to offer general guidance to people
- Car Park Stewarding
There are loads of jobs with football stadiums, and most of them do not outsource the jobs. You will be able to find jobs on the respective football club`s websites.
Crystal Palace has vacancies they advertise for on match days. This includes Car park and parking stewards to turn style attendants, normal ground stewards, and security response stewards.
Sheffield United also has a whole range of opportunities, and not only could you do steward work, but you could also work in the food or bar service serving food or drinks to people attending the game for the day.
Even Manchester United has vacancies they advertise for. The jobs at old Trafford might not always be plentiful because it is such a popular place for football, but if you keep your eyes open, then you should be able to find something there.
If you are looking for opportunities at Wembley stadium or the Emirates stadium, then you can have a look here. I have to add that most of the jobs from them are in the catering industry, but you could still land a waiting job in one of the luxurious sky boxes where you might get to see rich and famous people.
Emirates stadium also has vacancies. You can get to see one 0f the most famous football grounds in the entire world.
There are also a whole host of companies that provides various positions at different venues and events.
You can have a look at the following companies for steward jobs:
- Show and Event. They cover places such as the Royal Albert hall, the O2 arena, Rockingham, and a few other prestigious locations.
- Pitsman people also provide a whole range of services at different locations and events, even some festivals.
- Limelight Staff. Same as the above, however, they have a list of essential characteristics you will need to fulfill in order to work for them, and most of the work will be outdoors.
- Hospitalitystaff.co.uk always has a whole boatload of vacancies.
- Securigroup specializes in vacancies for Scotland. Some of the locations they serve are the football stadiums across Scotland, including Hamilton FC, Motherwell FC, Celtic FC, Falkirk FC, Dundee United FC, Inverness FC, and many others.
- Apsecurity.co.uk also provides services for different locations, events, and festivals such as Glastonbury, Forestry tour, and Leeds festival.
- You can also have a look at gumtree.co.uk as companies also advertise there for different casual jobs.
- Indeed.co.uk also advertises all sorts of different sport day jobs.
- Lastly, I would say to check out e4s.co.uk. This is a very good site with tons of different vacancies to suit almost any requirement.
If you still cannot find what you are looking for, then just see if your local club advertises match-day jobs on their website. Otherwise, you could phone them up, and they could point you to the company that handles the job for them.
With so many football, rugby, cricket, racecourses for cars, horses, and bikes and various running and cycling events across the whole of the UK, you should definitely be able to find something. Sometimes it might take a bit of effort to get the job because the companies do not always advertise, but if you look at the sites I provide you with, your quest should be much easier now. You can also ask a friend or someone you know who might have done this type of job in the past. You never know if they could refer you to someone who might be able to help you.
Do not forget to have fun even though it is work. You will get to make new friends, and you might even get to see the sports stars you could only dream of. An old friend of mine worked in the catering department at Silverstone racecourse and got to serve food to most of the F1 drivers, such as Michael Schumacher and Kimi Raikonnen. I personally got to meet different actors from the start trek franchise when I helped out at a SciFi convention and even got a booklet with all their autographs. You just never know who you might get to meet and see.